Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Spring is HERE!

I am so excited for the warmer weather coming in. Must be my island blood longing for ice storms and winter to pass. We drove for the first time in a LONG time with the windows down. Charly and Kavika just loved the fresh air. We went to the playground for a play date and weren't surprised at all at the number of people already crowding the playground. We all were thinking the exact same thing....it's been too long indoors!


Anyhow, with spring approaching we have been offered garden plots by members of our church to plant, tend, and harvest. I've talked with Marc about accepting a plot and having our family work it. Especially with this economy, Marc and I have been wanting to work more on self-reliance, preparedness, and so on. I know this is probably weird, but I have been a bit of a snob towards home grown produce. Actually that's not it. I love farmers markets and getting the extra squash, tomatoes, or zucchini, from church members and friends who offer to share their harvest. I think I've just been spoiled to think that produce always looks the way it is presented in the stores. I like idea of "picking" it fresh from the matching bins rather than pulling it from the soil. Store bought produce is always shiny, mostly bruise or bug free, and for the most part beautifully shaped. You don't see the dirt it's been sitting in or the worms or bugs that have touched your food....all that kinda creeps me out. (Pretty dumb, I know)

Talking with Charly and Marc, I am pretty sure we're gonna try our hands at it again. Wish us luck!!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck. I've been thinking it's a good idea to plant a garden too. Just be prepared for the bugs... and worms... in the corn. Ewwwwwww... Instead, let Marc do the work and you just enjoy the fruits (or vegetables) of his labor! ;)

    ReplyDelete